Look at the following instruction to see how easy to install NTFS-3G, a best free NTFS driver for Mac, in MacOS Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, Maverick,…
Step 1: Launch Terminal (found in /Applications/Utilities/)
Step 2: Install Homebrew
Enter the following command line to install Homebrew in seconds.
/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
The right command line can be changed, keep updating here: http://brew.sh/
Step 3: Install Install Homebrew Cask
brew install caskroom/cask/brew-cask
Step 4: Install osxfuse
brew cask install osxfuse
Step 5: Install NTFS-3G
brew install homebrew/fuse/ntfs-3g
Latest NTFS-3G can be download from here.
Step 6: Well, finally here is how to Create a symlink for mount_ntfs
Link NTFS-3G to the system location. In a Terminal prompt:
sudo mv /sbin/mount_ntfs /sbin/mount_ntfs.original sudo ln -s /usr/local/sbin/mount_ntfs /sbin/mount_ntfs
NOTE! If using Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitain:
- Some NTFS Softwares can not be launched due to Rootless. Look at this tutorial to see how to disable Rootless in Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan.
- Use the latest build of OSXfuse (3.1.0 or higher) to avoid System integrity Protection issues https://github.com/osxfuse/osxfuse/releases
- (Otherwise on OSXfuse 2.8.3? If using El Capitan, System Integrity Protection’s
fsrole will first need to be disabled.)
If the above does not work on your new MacOS Sierra, this topic would help.
For saving a ton of time, I personally recommend Paragon NTFS For Mac 15, which is is the best NTFS Driver for Mac. It support fully MacOS Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks, and older OS X versions.
- Beats down the barriers between Windows and Mac® OS!
- Effectively solves the communication problems between the Mac® system and NTFS.
- Providing full read&write access to Windows NTFS partitions under Mac® OS X.
- Excellent solution for end users, SOHO and the Enterprise.
After a few seconds for installation, users are able to write to any NTFS drives on Mac with the transfer rate is the same as with the native HFS file system. The Driver costs user just $19.95 for 1 license that can be used on 1 Mac, $49.95 for 3 licenses that can be used on 3 Macs (
$58.95 You Save 15%), and $74.95 for 5 licenses that can be used on 5 Macs ( $99.75 You Save 25%).